Monday, March 10, 2014

Installing A Gable Vent Over Vinyl Siding



Hey fellas, I need to install 2 gable vents, my house never had any so I am going to have to cut them out. I have vinyl siding and I am curious on install. Should, just cut threw the siding and wood at the same time? Or do I try to take the siding apart where I have to cut? If I take it apart how do I cut it? Thanks
I am using a lowes brand Builders Edge 12x18, looks like it has a snap on finish ring to cover up any mishaps

Take the siding off, cut a hole in the sheathing for the vent, install the vent, cut siding with snips or shears and re-install.

If your builder used standard construction methods, you will have a king stud right in the middle of where you want to install the vent. You will have to cut it out and frame out a box, adding back the support you removed.
OR....you could install ridge vents, which draw out much more hot air than do gable vents, as they rely on convection rather than cross winds to remove the heat. A gable vent will leave a hot spot at the peak of your roof.

Since the louver is from Lowes I figure it does not extend into the opening. If it does not extend in the stud does not need to be cut out thus making the installation easier for the average diy'er.
Bill

Yeah, and they have the j channel built in for the siding. The stud just looks goofy in the background, though. But it vents!!






Tags: gable, vent, vinyl, siding, does extend, gable vents, install vent, vent will, will have