Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer Ice Maker Problem



I own a Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator/Freezer model #ED5PHAXMQ00. I've had it for 4 years and as of a few days ago, it no longer makes ice. I do not see any ice cubes in the ice maker. I'm not sure if water is flowing to the ice maker, but water does dispense from the water dispenser on the outside of the freezer. I unplugged the entire refrigerator/freezer unit, let it defrost for 24 hours, plugged it back in, let it get back to normal and still no ice--same situation. Motor works well on ice cube dispenser on freezer door, but unit not making ice (ice bucket in door empty and also no ice, water or nothing around the ice making unit) and I checked the plastic water line on the back of freezer (unplugged the plastic tubing fitting) and no air was blocking it. All my food items are nice and cold though. I don't feel or see any water or ice in the freezer at all. I also removed the icemaker assembly unit and the trays around the ejector area were dirty and the lining appears to be peeling off on the tray. Any suggestions as to what parts might be bad? I also noticed today that the water pressure coming out of the water dispenser on the outside of the fridge is very slow.
What's it like to have no icemaker and to rely on huge bags of ice from the grocery store?
I know icemakers are the most problematic part of a refrigerator/freezer unit but I was wondering how long do you all think a refrigerator/freezer unit last? I ask because I wonder if it's worth it to spend $300 fixing this problem or putting that money towards a new or high quality fancy used unit?

Your fridge probably has a dual water valve on the back of the fridge where the water supply line hooks to. One for dispenser, the other for ice maker. An easy quick check of the icemaker valve would be to swap the 2 leads from each solenoid. In other words, take the leads from one solenoid attach them to the other one vice-versa. That way, when you push in on the water dispenser switch it will send power to the icemaker valve you can see if the icemaker gets water. If it does, icemaker is probably bad. If still no water, valve needs replaced. Don't forget to swap wires back to correct solenoids.

Thanks for your reply. I did your test and the icemaker is getting water, so the icemaker itself is probably bad. I was browsing through my local online classifieds and found an ad for a 6yr old side by side Whirlpool refrigerator with a bad a/c compressor for $50. The ad also states that the icemaker is only 6 months old and that the seller will consider selling the icemaker separately probably for $25. I asked the owner for the model number of the fridge, which is ED2GTQXKQ00 and he said the icemaker model number is 2181913. I went to the repairclinic.com website and plugged in his model number frigde and got a different icemaker assembly part number but the same exact icemaker control module part number than my fridge (whirlpool ED5PHAXMQ00).
I looked at pictures of his fridge in the ad and on other websites and the main difference seems to be the icemaker itself. His has a bucket underneath and the icemaker has an arm sensor. His does NOT have an in door ice bucket like mine does. I'm thinking that if the problem with my icemaker isn't the module, do you all think his entire icemaker assembly will work in my unit assuming it also has a flat plug? Can I make this work with my in-door ice bucket or will I have to remove it and use his ice bucket that does underneath the icemaker?

I think you would be better off spending the extra money getting the icemaker that is designed for your fridge. Some mount different use other sensors to control the ice making process. Also, the wiring might not be compatable.
Does your fridge have the infra red sensor inside the freezer door?

Thanks for the tip. Yes, my fridge has the infrared sensor in the door.

There should be a tech sheet be hind the kick plate and stuck to the bottom of the fridge.
This will give you instruction on test the inferred sensor.
Here is a link on test your ice maker.
If you require parts here is a place you can get Whirlpool parts.






Tags: whirlpool, refrigerator, freezer, maker, problem, freezer unit, icemaker assembly, model number, refrigerator freezer unit, water dispenser, dispenser outside, freezer door